Welcome to your new computer! This quick start guide is designed to help you get set up in a few simple steps. If you are unfamiliar with computers or need additional guidance, please click through to the next section, “About Your Computer.”
A Few Clicks and You're Done!
When you first turn on the computer, the setup assistant “Cortana” will guide you through the final steps of the Windows 10 installation.
- VERY IMPORTANT! Do not unplug the power to your computer until the Windows 10 installation is complete. If the computer turns off during the installation process it can get stuck in an error loop.
- We recommend that you do not connect to the internet during this process unless you would like to link a Microsoft account to your computer.
- You will have the option to create a password, but you can skip this by pressing the “Enter” key on the keyboard. Be sure to write your password down somewhere as there is no way to recover your password.
About Your Computer
Your laptop computer package will come with:
- Laptop computer
- Power adapter/charger
- Windows 10 Operating System
Your laptop computer's battery will charge using the power adapter/charger. Once your computer has enough battery, you will be able to use your laptop without the charger.
What is a PC? PC is an abbreviation for “personal computer.” It can refer to either a desktop or laptop computer.
When setting up your laptop computer...
- Plug it in. When plugging in the power adapter/charger, don't force it. Be sure the right plug is going into the right port.
- Use a surge protector. This will protect your computer and other tech equipment.
What's the difference between software and hardware? Hardware is the physical components of your computer, such as the computer tower, mouse, or keyboard. Software is the programs and applications that run on your computer, such as Microsoft Office or anti-virus programs.