In the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, Congress appropriated $3.2 billion to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to help low-income households pay for broadband service and connected internet devices. The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program will provide a discount of up to $50 per month for broadband services for eligible consumers. Additionally, the program provides a one-time device discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider (including PCs for People). The one-time discount requires a consumer co-payment of more than $10 and less than $50.
On November 15, 2021, President Biden signed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act passed by Congress. This included $14.2 billion to fund and transition the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program (EBB) to a longer-term broadband affordability program called the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). The transition took place on 12/31/21 though there is a 60 day transition period. This means new enrollments on 12/31/21 and later are under ACP, but folks using EBB will continue to be under that version of the program until March 2022.
The biggest update to the program is that the monthly internet benefit will change from up to $50 to up to $30 each month. This will continue to cover the full cost of PCs for People’s $15 monthly internet service, but will offset $20 less from the cost of a new EBB hotspot.
Finally, it’s important to note that, while the ACP received funding that should last several years, this is still not a permanent program.
Want more information? Click here to watch the EBB Program Overview Module. You can also visit the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) website.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- ACP Eligibility through PCS for People
- What are the ACP Program Benefits?
- How to Enroll in the ACP Program
ACP Eligibility through PCS for People
PCs for People has been approved as a participating provider for both internet and hardware benefits through the EBB and ACP using our alternative verification process (or AVP). In other words, if you meet our existing eligibility requirements and get your internet through PCs for People, you are eligible to have your $15 monthly internet cost covered in full by the ACP program. This will continue throughout the program’s funded period, though each customer will have to visit our online ACP portal to redeem the internet benefit every month. You can renew once you are within 14 days of expiration.
Additionally, once you have an active ACP internet subscription with us, you will also be eligible for a program benefit of up to $100 to be applied to certain hardware packages: a desktop or laptop package online as well as similar packages in-store, depending on inventory in each market (while supplies last).
What are the ACP Program Benefits?
- A monthly discount of up to $30 off your internet service and associated equipment (hotspots/modems) if you need it.
- For new subscribers, the benefit will be applied to the cost of your initial equipment purchase, and then it will cover monthly renewals for internet service after the first month. The monthly benefit was up to $50 under the prior EBB Program.
- For current subscribers, the benefit will cover monthly renewals for internet service for the duration of the program.
- A one-time discount of up to $100 off select computers (while supplies last) when purchasing internet from PCs for People. The final price you’d pay for an ACP computer is $11, $20, or $49.99.
How to Enroll in the ACP Program
- Visit our ACP Program portal online at https://acp.pcsrefurbished.com.
- Review and accept the ACP Terms on the website.
- Log into your existing PCs for People account or create a new one if you’re a new customer.
- Verify your account data through the National Lifeline Accountability Database (NLAD).
- Receive a confirmation message and proceed to shop from the eligible ACP products including hotspot or modem, one month of internet, and available computer packages.
If you receive an error message in red when enrolling or placing your ACP order, please visit our ACP Program Error Guide for next steps.